Whether you’re looking for affordable prices, great weather or want to avoid the crowds, these 7 US destinations are wonderful spots for a June getaway.
- New York City – According to a TripAdvisor, hitting the Big Apple in June is one of the cheapest times to visit during the summer months. The week of June 27 through July 3 is the best deal with prices at 10% below their summer peak and the average room rate around $317. TripAdvisor lists the Top of the Rock tour of 30 Rockefeller Plaza as the top value attraction for just $30 or try the Go City Card or CityPass New York to pay a discounted rate for multiple attractions. Try Hotel Elysee, Dream Downtown or the new wellness-focused EVEN Hotel Times Square South for fun, convenient places to lay your head.
- Santa Fe – If you’re looking for great weather, head to Santa Fe where there’s never been a 100-degree day, the air is humidity free and the area averages more than 320 sunny days each year. This southwestern town is a relaxing subalpine getaway that springs to full life in June, but is not as crowded as the busier month of July. Be sure to check out one of several festivals held in June, including Santa Fe Cocktail Week, New Mexico Cocktails & Culture and Rodeo de Santa Fe.
- Miami – Ready for the beach this summer? Then Miami may be your spot if you want to save. According to the Hotwire(R) Travel Inspiration Indicator, Miami is one of the best cities to travel to for less than $250 per night and the least expensive spring month to visit is June. Keep in mind, though, that June’s high temperatures may hit the 90’s, but so long as you can hop in the water, the dollars saved may make it a good trade-off.
- Cape Cod – With Cape Cod’s high season beginning after July 4, June is a great month to visit before the crowds of summer arrive. You’ll find sunny days, flowers like roses, azaleas and lilacs in bloom, and low humidity. You can also visit the area’s many beaches, including Cape Cod National Seashore, while there’s still plenty of room to spread out.
- South Dakota – Elizabeth Avery, founder of Solo Trekker 4 U, recommends South Dakota in June, as she says the weather is good, many attractions are free and the crowds are limited. She recommends visiting Mt. Rushmore, which is just $11 for parking per car, as well as the still-under-construction Crazy Horse Memorial. The summer months also feature rodeos and weekly outdoor concerts. A trip through Badlands National Park is also a good June add-on.
- Colorado – Colorado and the Rocky Mountains make a fantastic June destination as the snows have largely melted except on the top the mountains, the weather is warming up and it’s a great time to enjoy the beautiful scenery by hiking, kayaking or mountain biking. In Colorado Springs, you can visit Pike’s Peak and the Garden of the Gods, in Aspen hike to the beautiful and photo-friendly Maroon Bells, and in Beaver Creek and Vail, enjoy family-friendly activities like zip lines, ski lifts to the top of the mountains and fantastic dining.
- Las Vegas – If you can stand the heat, with highs up to 100 degrees, Las Vegas has some great deals during June. According to the Hotwire(R) Travel Inspiration Indicator, Sin City deals are 15 percent less in June than other spring months. You can get deals as low as $65 per night at Paris Las Vegas, $39 per night at Luxor and $65 per night at Treasure Island, while enjoying all the amazing area shows or even just walking from casino to casino, which is plenty of entertainment in itself.
Where is your favorite destination to visit in June?
Lyn Mettler is a freelance travel writer, who blogs at GotoTravelGal.com. She is also author of “The Step-by-Step Guide to Earning Your Southwest Companion Pass and Flying Free Around the U.S